Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thankful for.... my first gray hair

I love to change my hair. A lot. The first thing I did the day after my wedding was chop off all my long blond locks. A week later, I dyed them strawberry blond. My hair has changed color no less than five times in the past year. I even put together a little collage so you can see how drastically my hair has changed over the past couple of years. And this is not even all of my different looks.

So. yeah, I have no idea what my real hair color is, but needless to say, it never makes an appearance on my head. Nor should gray hair. Which is why I was beyond shocked when Hubby plucked a gray hair from my head yesterday. I steadfastly denied it could belong to me, after all, I had just dyed my hair last weekend. He said it came from my hairline, and must have gotten missed. He showed me the hair, and it had a root on it. It was a totally different texture from his hair, so it could not have been his. It, it, it must have been....mine? Does this mean I am (gulp) getting OLD????

OK, deep breaths.

Now what do I do?

I give thanks.

This is just another sign that my life is entirely too precious to be wasting it on pettiness. Lately, I have found myself getting wrapped up in some petty drama, being sucked in by some people who, for reasons unknown to me, want to hurt me, and wasting a lot of time being hurt and angry. Does it suck knowing someone you loved and trusted said and did things to deliberately hurt you? Yes it does. Does it make you question the decisions you have made, and who you thought your friends were? Sure enough. Do I know for sure what will happen? No way.

Here is what I do know. All this negativity has made me become negative. I was a person I did not like too much. I did and said hurtful and untrue things about people, I wronged them. I have asked forgiveness of them, and I know it has been granted, but it still does not change the fact that I did wrong. I do not want to be that person, and in the last few months, I have worked hard to change the person I was becoming. I believe I am back on the right path. But being angry at the people who hurt me is no better than when I was down in the muck with them, hurting other people. Because life is too short. So (deep breath) I am going to forgive the people who hurt me. All those who said mean and untrue things about me, I forgive you. And all those I said similar things about, I beg forgiveness of you. All those who hate me, and hurt me, I pray for you. All those I hurt, I ask you pray for me.

Life is too precious to be squandered on negativity. I know it sounds naive, but if you are in my life, and consider me a friend or loved one, I would think that should mean that you care about me, so can't we all just get along, before I am old and completely gray?