Friday, April 23, 2010

Out of Town: Burkittsville

I have a secret. I love horror films. I love everything about them. Seriously, it borders on obsession. So when I realized our trip to Antietam was going to place us close to the sleepy town of Burkittsville, Maryland, I insisted we stop there before heading to Harpers Ferry. Why, you ask?

Burkittsville was the setting for the fictional story in the Blair Witch Project. While very little of the actual movie was filmed there (most was filmed in the Seneca Creek State Park) I was still intrigued to see what this little town looked like. I guess I expected it to be a little spookier than it actually was, when in reality it was a lot like my own town, only a lot more quaint. I am pretty sure there was a building there with the word mercantile on the sign. It was so pretty however, and I did at least get some pictures in the cemetery, which is beautiful and creepy all at the same time. Hopefully we will return to the area again, and I can do some research to return to specific filming locations. I know the people of Burkittsville have had to suffer from film goonies like me messing with their town, so I did not want to disturb anything or be disrespectful. I hope you enjoy my pictures!