Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

Through various social media outlets, I have learned that today is International Women's Day, and not only that, it is the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day.  There was no way I was letting this go by unnoticed.

According to the International Women's Day website, the purpose of this day is to celebrate achievements of women, and the struggle for equality that women the world over face.  And I think that is wonderful, and helps give recognition where it is greatly due.  It also helps encourage young girls, or disenfranchised women in countries where equality does not exist.

I want to personally recognize all the women in my life, because you all have contributed to the woman I have become.

women

Family:  Well, here I have to start with my Mom, because, well, she literally made me :) and has shaped me every day since I was born.  The caring nature you see in me, and my propensity toward kindness is all thanks to my mother.  She helped instill that, as well as a tendency toward success and and high moral standards, in all 3 of us kids.  My grandmothers, who are both no longer with us, also shaped me.  Both struggled in their own ways to become the women they were, and that left a long lasting impression on me.  My sister inspires me every day, as a mother, and now, as a future educator.  And in my niece, I see so much of myself, that it warms my heart.  So, yes, my family is chock full of amazing women.  And this is just the immediate family, not to mention my amazing aunts and cousins!

Friends: I have several different circles of friends, those who live in my current town, those from high school and college, those I met through work, and those I have met through other friends.  What an amazing group of ladies these are.  Many are mommies, many work, and all support me in ways for which I can never even begin to thank them.

Professional contacts: Over the years I have had many women encourage me through more professional means.  A lot of my teachers over the years have been women, and they pushed me toward the excellence that I achieved.  Now that I am no longer a student, I still meet some wonderful women through social media.  Some of the bloggers and authors I meet are truly amazing and inspirational ladies.  I can only hope to make such an impact as they have.

So as you can see, I really have been blessed by a wonderful group of women in my life.  And to these ladies, including all you out there in the blogosphere reading this, I want to say that I love each and every one of you. Thank you for all you do, especially for all the things no one ever thinks to be thankful of.  Every dirty diaper, every home made meal, every difficult lesson plan, every soul baring biography, every charity helped, every friendly pep talk, just....everything.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Tell the women in your life how much you love and appreciate them, not only today, but every day.