Thursday, May 26, 2011

Explorations: The Barns of Butler County

Even though I am an Armstrong County girl, sometimes my explorations make me cross county lines.  Armstrong, Butler, and Indiana counties all have similar rural settings, but each has their own unique things to offer to visitors and residents.

Last weekend, Hubby and I took in some of the amazing Butler County countryside.  One of the things Butler has to offer is an amazing Barn Trail.  Actually, there are 3 separate trails.  We chose trail 3, and due to it's location in relation to where we live, we actually did it backwards.

The first barn we saw was the Love barn.  Built in 1865, this barn is now a popular site for weddings and other events in the area.  I love the bright red roof, it is just so cheerful!
IMG_8811



Then we moved on the 3 different barns that are homes to alpacas, Cotachachi, Sunset Hills, and Four Points.  Hubby thought the alpacas were odd looking, but I thought they were so adorable.  I want one, but alas, we are not allowed to have livestock in town. Someday in the future, I want to arrange to visit one of these farms.
IMG_8812


IMG_8827



Next we saw what was my favorite barn of the trip, the Fairfield barn.  It like something you would see in a movie, it was that lovely.
IMG_8834


We finished up with the Maharg barn, located within the Succop Conservancy.

All in all, we really enjoyed the drive, and seeing the countryside, including some barns not part of the trail.  I am looking forward to doing the other 2 trails over the summer.

View a few more photos from this exploration here.