Wednesday, April 3, 2013

35 Day Project: Planet Aid

We all have things in our closet that we no longer wear.  Either the size, or style, is wrong, or it is a little too worn.  Or you simply may have tired of it.  So, you purge your wardrobe, even just a little.  You put the clothes in bags.  Now what?  There are a multitude of worthwhile next steps.  Salvation Army.  St. Vincent DePaul.  Local thrift or consignment shops.  A friend in need.   So many options.

As you may be able to tell, my act for today was in the form of a clothing donation.  Over the past months I have been slowly trying to reduce the amount of stuff we own.  It is difficult, believe me.  Sometimes I have strong nostalgic connection to clothing, even when I no longer wear it.  But I feel a little guilty, holding on to something I do not use, knowing someone else would gladly use it.  I have been working on a bag for a while, and today I finished it up and took it to donate.

Untitled

I donated it at a Planet Aid box in our town.  You have probably seen these yellow boxes scattered about.  The accept donations of clothing and shoes, to eventually be resold both domestically and internationally.  I think there is something kind of cool about the idea that a sweater I no longer wear could be helping someone on the other side of the world.