Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Explorations: Rural Valley

Occasionally, I like to go exploring outside of my small town, to other nearby small towns. Yesterday, I did just that. I had an errand that was taking me near Rural Valley, so I decided to explore. Imagine my disappointment to discover my camera battery was dead. Not to be deterred, I got new batteries and headed back out. I was that determined (you will soon learn why).

The drive out to Rural Valley from Kittanning is very pretty this time of year. The weather yesterday was near perfect, clear blue skies. The creek that runs along State Route 85 looked so lovely, my camera does not even do it justice.






Finally, I arrive at the actual town of Rural Valley, Pennsylvania, population approximately 900.

Because the town is so small, and an outsider would stick out like a sore thumb, I did not really get to go out and explore too terribly much, as it was the time of day that everyone was getting home from work, and I did not want to spook anyone. Instead, I tried as discretely as possibly to take pictures of things I thought interesting, lovely, and charming, along Main Street.

The school

Main Street Market

Rural Valley Methodist Church

Rural Valley Bakery

Shannock Hardware


Yatesboro Presbyterian Church
(There actually were quite a few more churches in town)

But by far, the thing I was most excited about finding and getting a picture of was this:




Now, you may be asking, what is so special about this house? Well, this house is the former Bishop's funeral home. Again, what is so special about a small town family run funeral home? WELL....this particular funeral home was used in the filming of the movie The Silence of the Lambs. If you recall the scene where Clarice Starling goes to the funeral home to help process the body of Frederika Bimmel, when they find the moth cocoon in her mouth....well this is where all of that, interior and exterior, was filmed!!!!!! This was a major find for me. It was a minor part of the film, but a major turning point in the plot, so I still consider it a major find.

Often this filming location is misattributed to McKeesport PA. I assure, this is not the case, it is in fact in Rural Valley. Watch this clip, and at 6:13 you will clearly see this house, on Main Street in Rural Valley PA.


Basically, this, along with my errand, is what led me to lovely Rural Valley yesterday. It was a lovely drive, and to any of the residents who saw me milling about, I apologize if I bothered any of you. I meant no disrespect, I was only there to admire your beautiful corner of Armstrong County.