Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: Gold Kili All Natural Instant Ginger and Lemon Drink

Since I decided to drastically reduce my caffeine intake as well as my sodium intake, I have gotten a little bored with what I can drink.  There is too much sodium, not to mention other nasty stuff, in diet soda to keep drinking it as much as I was, and coffee has too much caffeine, so it has been a lot of water and decaffeinated teas.  Coffee and diet soda have been occasional at best.  So, when I got the chance to try Gold Kili All Natural Instant Ginger and Lemon Drink, I was intrigued.

The drink comes in premeasured packets, but you can add as little or as much as you like.  The drink mix is made up of little granules.  The first thing I noticed was a very overpowering smell of lemon.  While the drink says it is all natural, the lemon smell was very fake smelling (think furniture polish) and it was hard for me to get past.

I added the mix to hot water.  I added about half, and it seemed weak, so I added the rest.  Again, the lemon smell was overpowering.  I had a hard time getting past it enough to taste the drink.  I expected the lemon taste would be as powerful, but I was wrong.  It was the ginger taste that was very strong.  VERY strong.  Not awful, but definitely powerful, and it made the drink taste very spicy.  My tongue tingled after the first taste.

All in all, this drink was not bad.  The ginger taste was strong and spicy, so you will need to like ginger (a lot) to really enjoy this drink.  This is way different from the ginger ale taste that most people think of when they think ginger drink.  It is similar to a ginger beer we recently tried.  I think if I was sick, this would be a great drink.

The thing that most bothered me was, as a reviewer, I only received a single packet of the mix.  I was given absolutely no information regarding nutrition values (calories) and ingredients.  Without this information, I am very hesitant to recommend the product.

 I received this product for review as part of the Amazon Vine program.