Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Word Filled Wednesday: Your Body is a Temple

1 Corinthians 6:19-20


Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

God intends us to treat our bodies as our temples, with the purpose of glorifying Him, right?  So, I will be the first to admit, my body, not such a great temple in the past few years.  Not that I have been that awful to it, no illegal substances, no smoking, and very little alcohol (though like some Biblical figures, I do enjoy some wine now and again).  No, as many of you know, my vice is is more related to my weight.  In short, I like food.  I love to cook it, I love to use it to make people happy, I love the smell of it, the taste of it, I love shopping for it, food brings people together.  I think we see this sentiment echoed throughout the Bible. But my past choices with food have led to my temple being not so glorious.  I have been working on it, as you know, and I think that each day I make smart choices, it is in part due to grace.

God has a plan for me.  I am not sure what it is, but I know there is one.  I am certain it involves me being around to love my husband, family, and friends, hopefully for many years, but I know in order for that to happen, I have to do my part and take care of my temple.  Each day is a struggle, and sometimes I slip.  But that is the amazing thing about God.  When I slip a little, He is there to help me up.  Him, along with the rest of my fabulous support system.  So, I am continuing to revamp my temple.  I have a feeling this will be a lifelong project, for a long life.  And I am perfectly ok with that.