Thursday, March 21, 2013

35 Day Project: Dinner for a friend

Sometimes, you just do not feel like cooking.  I know that feeling well.  Even though I love to cook, there are days when I am happy that I have left overs, or meals I have frozen, because I just cannot stand the thought of setting foot in the kitchen, and going out to eat, even take out, gets to be pretty pricey anymore.  I love the luxury of a day of not cooking, and I imagine most people do.  Which is why today's act of kindness was extra fun for me.

dinner collage

Today, I cooked dinner for our friends, Erin and Jason.  In July, their beautiful baby boy, Welles, was born.  Over the last 7 months, I have gotten to spend a lot of time with them, and see what truly fabulous parents they are.  Jason works a full time job, and Erin is currently working several part time jobs, including helping direct the musical for a local high school.  Rehearsals are getting down to crunch time, and that means Erin is often not home in the evenings when Jason first gets off of work.  They both work hard, both inside the home and outside of the home.  To add more to their plates, poor Welles has been teething this week, and not resting well.  All of this added up to the perfect excuse to show them some extra kindness.   So, last night, I sent Erin a text message saying "I am cooking your dinner tomorrow."

I decided that I would make a casserole for them.  Cheesy chicken and noodles topped with bread crumbs. Sounds pretty yummy!  I also made them roasted Brussels sprouts and herb bread.  I even included a couple of monster brownies that I made yesterday.  I packed it all up and dropped it off to Jason, while Erin was at practice.  This way, they both can relax when they get home, and enjoy their time together as a family.