Sunday, March 14, 2010

Being married to a "10"

Last night my husband, our friend JKB, and I all went to see the movie "She's Out of My League". I really recommend it. Even though the movie was kind of predictable, I absolutely loved it, for 2 reasons.

Reason #1: I love Pittsburgh


This movie was set and filmed in Pittsburgh. And it made no bones about it. If you knew anything about Pittsburgh, you knew immediately that this was where the film was set. And let me tell you, the cinematography made this city shine. In this movie, Pittsburgh looked like the most beautiful city in the world. It was a city full of culture, and pizazz, but also full of simple hard working folks. As a non-native to Pittsburgh, this is exactly how I have always seen the city. I have been having a love affair with this city for as long as I can remember, and this movie reiterated why. While the movie may not get rave reviews for plot or acting, both of which I enjoyed, I hope people all over can see the loveliness of our town.


Reason #2: It summed up exactly how I feel about my husband.



The whole premise of the movie is this guy who sees himself as a "5" gets involved with a girl who is a "10", and feels like it won't work, when in reality, the girl sees him as a "10" as well. I know exactly how she feels. All the time, since we first became friends, then dated, now are married, my husband has always said I am too good for him, or out of his league, or that he does not deserve me, and he does not seem to understand why I ended up with him. He always says he is so lucky.

But to me, he is a 10.

First of all, despite what he may think, my husband is so handsome. So many people tell me so. He has the most beautiful brown eyes, so warm, and his smile, it makes him look like a little boy, and I just melt. I think we make an incredibly good looking couple. Do we have flaws, sure. But I think he is the sexiest, most handsome man I have ever known.

Second, he is so smart, and he challenges and pushes me intellectually. This is not something I often find in men. Beyond the trite "how was your day" discussions, we often talk about politics, or history, or philosophy, over the dinner table.

Third, and most importantly, he waited for me. His patience is beyond compare. For 2.5 years, he patiently and prudently waited, listening to me drone on about all the terrible dates I had been on, and all the awful experiences I had in my life, all the while turning him down for dates. I would not even meet him in public, yet he was pretty much my best friend. He cared about me in a way no one ever has, or ever will again. It is hard for me to put into words how much it meant that he gave me the time I needed to realize I was desperately in love with him.

My husband sees all the ways he is different from other men, and he thinks these things are bad. And I must admit, at first, I was taken aback by some of them as well. But all these things turned out to be a blessing. His differences are what makes him him. They are what makes him a 10.

And I will forever think I am the lucky one.