Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thankful for....a change of plans

Do you ever find yourself thankful for things others might find annoying, or find blessings in things other people lament? I do, and that is what this series is about....

So, I will admit it, I am a planner. I like to add appointments to the calendar in my phone. I like to have things set. I like knowing where I need to be, and being there at least 5 minutes early. I like predictability, and do not consider it boring. I am still able to be spontaneous, but I am pretty sure that with married life, my days of waking up and saying, "hey I think will buy a car/cat/computer/vacation package today" are pretty much over. We do lots of things on short notice, but for the most part, we plan, and I like it that way.

Which is precisely why I am surprised to find myself so blessed to have my plans for the week so changed. On Monday, I was supposed to go to the circus with some friends and their children. On Tuesday, Bible study and Glee. Yet neither of these days went as planned, and for that, I am thankful.

Monday, my friend J, with whom I was going to the circus, called and said her little one was having a bit of a naughty day, and he had just made quite a large mess in her house, so she would have to cancel. I ended up going to dinner with Hubby, then we took the dog for a walk, where he made a new friend. It was so fun. In the mean time, J had enough of her son's shenanigans and persuaded her husband to take care of him, to get some time with the girls. She went to our friend E's house, and I met up with E, J, and another friend, K, there. Another girl, T, soon joined, and we spent the evening being random, and silly- it was sisterhood at its finest. Trust me, it was a circus of its own.

Tuesday night, the group is always me, J, and E. But E has been a little stressed, dealing with family stuff, working a million jobs, and preparing for a trip overseas. Rather than cancel our weekly get together, we skipped the Bible study, met up for snacks, which is always a part of our gathering, and then J and I persuaded E to let us help her. We pretty much invaded her house, and helped her get some things organized. I am pretty sure God understood about us not doing our weekly study, since we decided to put the principles into action. Again, what a fantastic opportunity for fellowship and sisterhood.

J said it best when she said "It is so nice to have friends like this, because I know you would do this for me if it were the other way around."

I can not imagine a better way to have spent both of those nights. In the grander scheme of things, these are the things that are important. I am still learning how to be a good friend, a good wife, and a good Christian. I am so blessed to have these women in my life to serve as such fantastic role models. I hope they know how much I love and appreciate them. They can change my plans anytime.