Monday, July 19, 2010

Action, habits, character, destiny

“Watch your actions for they become your habits; watch your habits because they become your character; watch your character for it becomes your destiny.”

This is a quote I saw today, and it really stuck with me, because I find it to be so true.  It leads me to ask, what is my destiny?  Well, first off, marrying Hubby was my destiny.  And living a long, happy, healthy, love filled life with him is my destiny.

So, I then have to ask myself, does my character lend itself to this destiny?  What about my habits, and my actions?  I am working very hard to make sure the answer to these questions is yes.

Right now, I am happy and have a life full of love, I have that part in the bag.  I have a wonderful, loving, supportive family, who completely accepts Hubby as one of them, and love him unconditionally.  We have fantastic and supportive friends, and have chosen to surround ourselves with people who truly want the best for us.  I try my very best to be kind and generous, and many people tell me that I do possess those qualities.  I try hard to love and support my husband, and again, so many people, people who barely know me, tell me that I am good for him.  They say he is happier than he has ever been, a sentiment he echos to me daily.  So yes, happy and love filled life? Check.

Now it is time for me to work on the long and healthy parts.  I have struggled with my weight since graduate school.  In high school and college I was thin, though never enough to suit me.  However, as soon as I moved out on my own, and did not have the benefit of mama's home cookin', I started putting on weight, and over the years, the pounds slowly crept on.  Now, I have decided, it is time for all that to change.

Two of my wonderful and supportive friends have both previously participated in Weight Watchers, and decided to take up the regimen again without actually paying the membership fee.  When I decided to join them, the gladly offered to help teach me the Weight Watchers ways and tenets.  So, last Monday, we started.  Within in a day or two, I started feeling better.  And sleeping better.  And having more energy.  And surprisingly, I was eating MORE than I usually do, but what I was eating was so much better for me.  I even went out to eat 2 times during the first week, and tried my best to make good and healthy choices (hello grilled shrimp, goodbye scampi).

So, today was weigh in day.  Imagine my shock and awe when I stepped on the scale and had lost 5.7 pounds!  Now, granted, I know the majority of this was probably water weight, but I can see a small difference in my body already.

The best part is, we do not have to make any drastic changes to our lifestyle.  We can still grill burgers, we can still go out with friends, and I can still find things to fulfill my sweet tooth (oh how I love you sugar free Jello and Skinny Cow ice cream).  Instead of radical overhauls, I will slowly learn to change my actions and habits when it comes to food, and the choices I make. 

So, right now, I am making a conscious choice to fulfill my destiny.  These are the choices I am making.


I challenge you to ask yourself...what is your destiny, and are you making the choices to fulfill it?