Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Word Filled Wednesday: Unveiled Faces

2 Corinthians 3:18
 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Transformation.  As a Christian, this is a process we begin at baptism.  As we arise from the baptismal waters, we rise from death to new life, new life in Christ. But this is only the beginning.  Our transformation continues on throughout our entire Christian formation.

The purpose of transformation is to improve in our walk, to become more and more godly.  The only way we can do this, however, is to fully experience all aspects of life, both joyful and sorrowful.  Often we as Christians feel that a loving and just God should remove all aspects of suffering from our lives.  And He will, when we join Him in Paradise.  But on earth, that suffering serves a real purpose, and that purpose is to allow us the opportunity to turn to Jesus, to rely on God.  I fully, wholeheartedly believe that God can use all things, including suffering, for His glory and purpose.

It is hard to be obedient, and thankful in the face of adversity, and it is an area in which I certainly could stand improvement.  But the only way I can improve is to continue to seek transformation, to come to God with an open and contrite heart, an unveiled face if you will, to wonder at His glory and majesty.  As a child, I often questioned the choices my parents made, or advice they gave me, not realizing that not only did they know better than I did, but that they only wanted my happiness, and for me to be the best woman I could be.  As a child of God, I need to apply that same lesson.  For who knows better that God?  So, as this new day begins, my prayer is that with each new struggle, I approach God, face unveiled, to trust in His sovereign love, and seek the transformation He desires in my life.