Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Word Filled Wednesday: Entertaining Angels

Hebrews 13:1-2 - Let love of the brethren continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

I have been seriously slacking on one of my goals for 2011.  The goal to increase my random acts of kindness.  Today, I finally made good, and performed my first RAK of the year.  It was something small, but who knows, it may have made a big difference to the person on the receiving end.

I have been going out a lot lately to take pictures around the county.  I had been out for several hours, and was really hungry, so I decided to swing by a drive through to pick up a quick snack, and more importantly, something to drink, as I was parched.  I quickly noticed a line forming behind me, and thought, what a perfect opportunity to perform a RAK.  It was a dreary day, with a mix of rain and snow coming down.  The kind of day to make you feel like Eeyore, it certainly made me take very dreary pictures.  So, as I pulled up to pay for my order, I told the woman at the window that I would also like to pay for the order of the person behind me.  Such a simple thing to do.  The woman at the window seemed so happy that someone was showing such kindness to a stranger, it made me feel as though the sun were shining.  I never met the person on the receiving end of my RAK, never talked to them, never got a thank you.  I can only pray that this blessed them in some way, helped turn their day around a bit.

I love performing acts of kindness, it fills my heart with so much joy.  It makes me feel so good to remind people that they are important, valued, loved.  I should do it more.  I should do it daily.  Each time I bless someone with kindness, there is always a chance it might be an angel.  Or perhaps, I am being an angel to them in a time of need.  Either way, in that moment, we are both being blessed.

Why don't you perform a random act of kindness (RAK) today?