Monday, October 31, 2011

Modified Mulligatawny

When we went to The Harmony Inn for dinner, I had one of the soups as part of my meal.  It was so amazingly delicious, the problem was none of the staff could get the name right.  Millet Mollie?  Chicken Mulligan? Chicken  Megan Mullally?  At this rate, I knew I would never find a recipe for it, since we had no clue what it was named.  On a whim, I asked one of the staff members if the cooks would be willing to share the recipe, and, they did!  It was called Chicken Mulligatawy.  However, I was sad to see the ingredient list included both milk and heavy cream.  I am trying to delete a lot of dairy from my diet, and cows milk and heavy cream would be terrible for me.  So, today, I decided to try to replicate the soup in a healthier way.

First off, I put chicken breast tenders on to boil.  I know, I know, not the tastiest way to prepare chicken, but it is healthy, and there will be plenty of flavor added on later.  While that was boiling, I got busy chopping my other ingredients.

138


I put about 1/4 cup of chicken broth in a pot, then added each of the following as I chopped them:

Celery
135

Onion
139



Granny Smith Apple
140


D'anjou pear
143


Eggplant
144


I added 1/4 tbsp curry powder at this time as well.
146


Once the chicken was fully cooked, I chopped it up, and added it in the curried mixture.  I also added 1/2 cup jasmine rice (I precooked it slightly, having learned my lesson with the stuffed pepper soup).
148


In order to give the soup a nice creamy texture, I added cream of chicken soup, as well as more chicken broth.
150

Some more curry, a little salt, and a lot of black pepper, and we are almost done.  One last secret ingredient.

151

This is coconut manna.  It is high in fiber, and has good fats in it, plus it adds a bit of creamy richness.  I used just a little, 1/2 tbsp.  That was all it needed.

I let this cook until bubbly, the reduced to simmer for 45-60 minutes.  I cannot wait to have it for dinner.

152

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breast tenders, boiled
1 c celery
half a medium yellow onion
1 medium granny smith apple
1 medium green d'anjou pear
2 cups cubed peeled eggplant
2.5 cups fat free chicken broth, divided
1/2 tbsp curry powder
1/2 cup jasmine rice 
2 cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
salt, pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp coconut manna



For those curious here is some nutrition info.  These are approximations using an online nutritional calculator.
Serving size: 1.25 cups
Calories: 240
Carbs: 33g
Fat: 4g
Protein: 19g
Fiber: 7 g
WWPlus points: 6

Let me know if any of you try this, and what you think.  Should I change any of it?