Thursday, October 27, 2011

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

I have been really lax lately with my blogging, and there are a few reasons.  First of all, I set the crazy goal to read and review 200 books this year over on my book blog.  Nuts right?  I just finished reading book 150, and have been busting my butt to make sure I meet this goal.  So, that is keeping me pretty busy.  Also, well, I have just sort of lost heart with my blog.  I feel like I have nothing new to say, and have strayed from my original intentions a bit.  So, I am not sure what the future will hold for this blog, and I may not be posting here as often.

But to make up for my absence, I come bearing a gift.  It is the recipe for what is now my favorite soup ever!  I made it Sunday, and we just finished it last night!




Stuffed Green Pepper Soup.

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
2 large green peppers
1 small onion
1 large can (28 or 30 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 large can (28 or 30 oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup rice
2 1/4 cups water
4 tbsp brown sugar
salt, pepper, parsley flakes

1.  Brown the ground turkey in skillet.  I browned mine with 2 cloves of garlic and some pepper, just to give it some flavor.

2.  While meat is cooking, chop up green peppers and onion, and put in large soup pot.  I used a dutch oven.

3.  When meat is completely browned, drain and add to soup pot with peppers and onions.

4.  Add the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.

5.  Add 1 cup rice.  I used brown rice, and it ended up still being slightly hard when soup was cooked, so you may either want to use a minute rice, or just pre-cook the rice for just a few minutes.

6.  Add 2 1/4 cups water.

7.  Add 4 tbsp. brown sugar.

8.  Add salt, pepper, and parsley to your taste.  I use very little salt, and it was fine.

9.  Stir pot and bring to a boil.  Once it boils, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1 hour on stovetop.

There you go!  Easy, delicious, and healthy!  We made a packed of instant potatoes (the ones that are 80 calories a serving) and ate the soup with a scoop of mashed potatoes in it.  It was so delicious, and made a TON.  Seriously, last night was the 4th meal we got from it!

You can easily adjust this recipe to your taste (more meat, more peppers, etc).  You could garnish with cheese, or a little sour cream, whatever you prefer.  It was so delicious, I am sad to see it gone!