Sunday, March 24, 2013

35 Day Project: Spreading Blogger Love

Blogging can be, at times, an incredible outlet.  It allows us to showcase our interests and talents, it allows us to connect with like-minded people, it allows us to not feel alone.  People who are "not into the whole blogging thing" often do not understand why we bloggers put ourselves out here as we do, why we invest so much time and energy into our blogs, why blogging is an valuable part of our identity.  But other bloggers, we totally get it.

I admit, I do not interact with other bloggers as much as I used to.  Mostly I interact with other Pittsburgh area bloggers, and leave it at that.  I have gotten stagnant and lazy.  But that changed today.

bloggerlove

I was taking a trip down memory lane, and thinking of books from my childhood, the titles of which had long escaped my memory.  I remembered one quite clearly, about a cranberry recipe, so I googled the phrase "children's book cranberry".  The search results led me to a real treasure of a blog, called "Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves".  The blog is written by Burgin Streetman, a mother who had worked for years in the publishing industry, and now, among her other pursuits, wrote this blog about vintage children's books.  She had written an entry about the book I was seeking, "Cranberry Thanksgiving", as well as so many other truly wonderful books that I remember from my childhood.  The blog brought back so many great memories of summer trips to the library, schoolday trips to the BookMobile, and endless hours reading with my parents.  I really believe that the love of reading that my parents and teachers cultivated in me led to my passion for reviewing books as an adult.

For today's act of kindness, I am spreading love to this wonderful blogger.  Her blog has tapped into the collective childhoods of many of us booknerds born in the late 70s and early 80s.  She is cultivating a love of literature in her son.  She is making the internet a happier place.  She deserves recognition.  So today, I am trying to give her some.  I do not know her personally, I do not even think we live in the same area of the country.  I have never spoken with her, electronically or otherwise, though I will be contacting her to let her know I stumbled upon her blog and am spreading love for it.  She is just a woman, a stranger, doing something I adore and appreciate, and I want to tell her so.  I think it would be great if you visited her blog and left her some comments of love as well.

Thank you Burgin Streetman, for a blog that will be sure to become one of my all time favorites.

P.S. Burgin, I love that your blog header was drawn by the same artist that drew the cover art for the Jonathan Coulton and John Roderick Christmas Album.  Zack Rock is amazing!