Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tiffany's Tuesday Tunes: F is for Fifteen

Last night the Pittsburgh Pirates secured their spot in the playoffs for the first time in over 20 years.  This season has been a dream for the Pirates, breaking a losing season streak, and making the city of Pittsburgh tremendously proud.

scan0002

When the Pirates began their journey to this moment, dealing with 20 years of losing seasons,  I was just 15 years old.  Fifteen seems like it was a lifetime ago. Some things about me were so drastically different from how I am now (like the fact that I still had my natural hair color).  And some things about me were uncannily the same (even then I always had a book in my hands).  But one thing that has remained a constant over those years is Bucco baseball.  My entire life has been filled with Pirates games, many of them losses.  Because I have 3 cousins who have played major league baseball, the game is in my blood.  And because Pittsburgh was the closest city to where I grew up, the Pirates were the hometown favorite.  

I have incredibly fond memories of games with my childhood friend and her family, my college and grad school friends, and of course my own family.  I remember taking my nephew to his first game.  I remember the first game Hubby and I went to when we were dating.  I remember the highs, the lows, the strikes, the homers, the cotton candy, the hot dogs, the bobbleheads, the 7th inning stretches, the fireworks, and most of all the tremendous excitement I felt watching a major league team play.  It never really bothered me when the Bucs lost.  Sure I preferred a win, but I loved them just the same.  They were my team, and have remained my team.

In honor of the tremendous journey this team has taken over the last 20 years, today I compiled a playlist of some of the top songs from 1993, when I was just 15, and the Pirates began their journey to where they are now.

Raise the Jolly Roger.