Friday, November 12, 2010

An Evening with Podcamp: Mikey and Big Bob

Earlier this fall, I talked about how Hubby and I attended Podcamp Pittsburgh, a gathering of the best local members of the social media scene.  We learned a ton, and made connections with some amazingly awesome people.  After it was all over, the organizers looked for ways to continue to keep people involved and connected, and they decided to hold bimonthly minicamps where we can socialize and have a short session related to social media.  Last night was the first one, and it was nothing short of awesome.

I met Hubby at work, and we drove down into the city for the event.  Ever the over eager nerds that we are, we were about 45 minutes early, so we went and got some coffee, then headed over for the event, which was being held at Space Gallery in the Cultural District.
It was a really nice location, plenty of room, and very chill.  I wish we were able to spend more time in the Cultural District, since it has so many cool things to offer.  But I digress.

We get there, and a nice little social area  set up, with drinks and hors d'oeuvres. The event was sponsored by the gallery as well as a new social media site called Concert Oh (it is like Skype on steroids, so cool, check it out!).  I was excited to see some people I knew, and forced myself to talk to people.  Social media is funny, in that you "know": people because you develop relationships and friendships with them online, but you do not "know" them in real life, so bridging that gap is always a little awkward.  I did a lot better last night than I have in the past but I was still too shy to talk to a few people.  However, I did get a chance to talk to Secret Agent L (love her!), Andy from Techburgh, and met two very cool new ladies named Kim (Clumberkim and Kim from Specter Studios).


Finally, it was time for the session to begin.  Our master of ceremonies, Norm, introduced us the guests who he would be interviewing.

It was none other than Mikey and Big Bob from 96.1 Kiss Morning Freak Show.  If you live in or around Pittsburgh and do not know who these guys are, you should.  And if you live somewhere else, click on that link and prepare to be amazed.  These are two of the most unique, ridiculous guys ever to hit Pittsburgh's radio scene, and they are 100% legit.  None of the fake cheesy radio show garbage you hear on so many stations.  They push the limits, and people love it.  Among the topics discussed last night were Bob getting arrested in a leather mini skirt on the Parkway, various rap songs the guys have written and made youtube videos for, including Cake in the Break Room, and Bob's at work bathroom habits.
No doubt about it, these guys are ridiculous.  And I love them.  I have listened to them since their first year on air in Pittsburgh, when I was still commuting from Ohio daily.  They have always done insane stuff, but these guys have tremendous heart for Pittsburgh as well.  Each year, their station does something called Stuff a Bus, where they live in an RV in a parking lot for 5 days, to get people to bring toys out for Toys for Tots.  They stuff school buses full of toys, and I think last year they filled something like 16.5 buses.  They have a huge love for the Steelers and Pens, and just really enjoy living in Pittsburgh.

They talked a lot about how the changes in technology have changed the radio industry, and how it is not just about radio ratings anymore.  They are active on youtube, Twitter, facebook, and various other social media outlets.  In fact, this is how I have most of my access to them these days.


These guys are just amazing personalities, truly a one of a kind pair.  Best friends, their chemistry and rapport rivals great comic duos like Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, and Fred and Barney.  I love these guys. I mean, where else can I have an evening end with a photo op, and have them request that I make it "fancy" like this?
Sexy magic