Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Heroes in our Backyard

How many times do we hear about negative things involving college kids in Pittsburgh?  Shootings, car wrecks, assaults, all kinds of sad situations.  If only the positive stories about college kids got as much press.  Well, I am hoping to change that, even in a tiny little way.

Faithful readers of my blog may be familiar with the Phi Delta Theta fraternity at the University of Pittsburgh.  I wrote about them once before.   The fraternity participates in something called the Backyard Run a week before the big football game between Pitt and WVU.  The brothers run a football from Morgantown WV to Pittsburgh, to help raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

This year, the boys set a lofty goal, hoping to raise $10,000 dollars.  With less than two weeks left, they are a little short of the goal.  So I decided to try to spread the word, and to beg all my readers to spread the word as well.  Tweet this post, post it on your facebook, email it to your friends and family.  And please, consider a small donation.


The boys started this journey because one of their fraternity brothers had Cystic Fibrosis, and they wanted to support him.  I am supporting them because I lost a childhood friend to Cystic Fibrosis.  And also, I am supporting them because I think it is fantastic that a group of young men is doing something so selfless.  These are the stories we should be hearing on the news.    Please check out the website for the Backyard Run that I linked above.  Follow them on Twitter (they will be tweeting on the run), like their facebook fan page.  Please spread the word about these heroic young men trying to do something good, and please encourage people to donate, every dollar helps.