Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Each day is Valentine's day

Hubby and I are not ones to get majorly sucked into the commercial black hole of Valentine's Day.  I prefer to not go out for dinner, as restaurants are often crowded, overpriced, and kind of obnoxious during this holiday week/weekend.  So, since becoming "old marrieds", we have preferred to stay in, have a nice dinner, and do sweet things for each other

This year it was a little unusual for a few reasons.  First off, Hubby had made a Superbowl bet with me, which he lost, and the terms of the bet were that he had to cook me dinner.  He does not cook.  Ever.  So, since this was going to be a momentous occasion, we decided it would count as our Valentine's dinner, even though it was Saturday.  He made me steak and baked potatoes, very delicious, and even got a cake for dessert.  And he was so excited about his gift to me, he insisted we exchange presents after dinner.  Unfortunately, this meant his was not wrapped, but he did not mind.  I bought him a board game based on the show Dexter.  Not typically a romantic gift, but given that Hubby collects board games, and loves that show so much we named our dog Dexter, he LOVED it!.  He got me Snapeas, a snack I love but are ridiculously hard to find, and an external hard drive to store my pictures.  I was in heaven.  

So, looked like our Valentine's Day was pretty much perfect.  And then, late that night, as I was carrying Dexter downstairs, I somehow fell on the steps and bruised my tailbone.  This is a pain unlike anything I have ever felt.  It hurts to sit, to lay, to do anything but stand straight and not move.  And this had the potential to ruin a big surprise I had planned for actual Valentine's Day.  I was heartbroken.  But Hubby took exceptionally good care of me for the rest of the weekend, and doggone it, I was determined to carry out my surprise.

So, yesterday, I woke up, and got to work.  I baked some bread (thank you Pampered Chef!) and started dinner in the crock pot.  I was making Parmesan Chicken with Green Beans.  So delish.  I also made parsley potatoes.  Again, amazing.  But that was nothing compared to what else I did.



Using 2 large bags of Hershey kisses, I made a heart on the floor of our entryway,

 then a trail of kisses leading from the door upstairs to our room.  

There, I was waiting for Hubby, all dressed up in a skirt and blouse, with a hand made Valentine.


The whole idea was that I "kiss" the ground he walks on.  He LOVED it!  I was really proud of the Valentine, and although I did not get to make dinner as elaborate as I hoped because I was in pain, it still ended up being a wonderful night.  After dinner, we played a couple of trivia games, snuggled with the dogs, and just talked about how much we love each other, and why.  

To me, this is what Valentine's day is all about, a day full of love, laughter, kindness, and joy.  And this is how each day of my life is, all because I am married to my best friend.  I love you Hubby, and each day with you is like Valentine's Day.