Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Word Filled Wednesday: Husband As Head

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. (NASB)

It never fails to baffle me how angry people get at me for choices my husband makes.  As if my husband has no mind or will of his own.  In case people do not notice, my husband is a grown man, with free will.  If he makes a choice, it is with his free will, that he makes this choice.  To assume that his choices are my doing, by my feminine wiles alone, is to accuse my husband of being weak.  My husband is not weak.  My husband is the head of my household.

I think that people often mistake kindness, or being easygoing, as weakness.  But everyone has a breaking point.  And as far as my family, meaning me and my husband, goes, he is in charge.  Never for a moment think otherwise.  Because, seriously, if I had my way, we would have at least ten times the pets we do now, including this adorable little puppy that I desperately want to adopt and name Chocolate Chip Nixon Harkleroad (Hubby says no).
But I digress.  My point here is, my husband is the head of our household, the head of our family.  He is the decision maker for himself.  He is the joint decision maker for our family.  When it comes to things that affect us both, like finances, and household decisions, we discuss them, though we are almost always in agreement.  But when it comes to him, he makes his own decisions.  I might make suggestions, like, gee, don't you think you should get a hair cut soon, or, would you like to go away next weekend, but I never say, hey, you, DO THIS.  So, if he decides to not go somewhere, or not attend some function, or not wear some piece of clothing, or not drink alcohol, or not eat some type of food, that is his doing, and nothing I am going to do or say will change it.  Trust me.  I will never, ever, in a million years get this man to eat sushi.  I will never ever get him to put gravy on his mashed potatoes.  Stripes will not be entering his wardrobe.  Rest assured, he does things by his own bidding.

I see this all the time, people blaming wives or girlfriends for the choices men make.  I was unaware there was such a widespread epidemic of weak minded men out there.  Maybe there are a lot of men who let their wives make all their decisions for them, but, sorry to tell you, my husband is not one of them, and that is the way I like it.  He makes his own choices when it comes to him, I make choices when it comes to me, when it comes to our family we have a partnership, and at the end of the day, he is the head of our household.

And I will always stand by his choices, after all, he chose me.